Our Favorite Texas Thanksgiving Tradition: Grapefruit Pie!
Texas is a big state with a lot of personality. Part of what makes Texas so special are the traditions practiced here in the Lone Star State. Here at Winter Sweetz, we’ve got to say, our favorite Texas tradition is Thanksgiving grapefruit pie! But why is it a tradition?
Keep reading to learn more about why we love grapefruit so much here in Texas, and check out Winter Sweetz’s favorite Texas red grapefruit pie recipe!
Why Is Red Grapefruit Such a Big Deal in Texas?
If you’ve ever found yourself wondering why grapefruit is so popular in Texas during the winter months, it’s really not a mystery. As the state fruit, Texas red grapefruits are an important symbol, but that’s not the only reason they’re a big deal. Grapefruits are the highest revenue-producing fruit tree in the state, even beating out oranges. Believe it or not, red grapefruit were also “invented,” or first cultivated, in Texas back in the 1920s. Now that’s a real Texas fruit!
Our Favorite Texas Red Grapefruit Pie Recipe for Thanksgiving!
This grapefruit pie will fit right alongside your other tasty treats for Thanksgiving or it can pack a punch on its own as a delicious finisher to your meal! This silky smooth grapefruit custard pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your Thanksgiving feast!
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup freshly squeezed Texas red grapefruit juice, about 1½ grapefruit
- 5 large egg yolks
- 14 oz. of sweetened condensed milk
- Optional peach gel paste coloring
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons of melted butter
Making Your Grapefruit Pie Crust
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Combine the sugar, butter, and graham cracker crumbs in a mixing bowl. Stir your mixture until the crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Press your crust mixture into an 8-inch pie plate, making an even layer of crust.
- Bake your crust for 12 minutes and set aside.
Making Your Grapefruit Filling
- Keep your oven preheated to 350. If you’ve decided you’d rather have a colorful pie than a pale pie, combine your food coloring and sweetened condensed milk in a mixing bowl. Stir until evenly colored.
- Stir in your grapefruit juice and egg yolks. Be careful not to whisk or produce any bubbles. Stir by hand until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Pour your filling into your pre-made pie crust and place in the oven until the center has set, usually 30 minutes.
- Let cool and place in the fridge overnight to set. Before serving, pipe some dots of whipped cream around the edge.
Order Grapefruit Online To Celebrate Thanksgiving With Winter Sweetz!
So, is your mouth watering yet? It better be! Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and there’s going to be all sorts of yummy food and desserts around, whether in stores or your Thanksgiving dinner. Even if you’re not a big fan of the holiday, nothing will make the day sweeter than a Texas red grapefruit!
Grapefruit season is here! You can order grapefruit online today to get your very own box of delicious Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit! What are you waiting for?!