Grapefruit Pie: An Essential Texas Tradition!
You might know about some of Texas’s great food traditions, like fried chicken, BBQ, kolaches, or chili, but you may not know that the Lone Star State is also known for grapefruit pie!
Southern Texans started the grapefruit pie tradition, but anyone can join in! As all Texans know, red grapefruits are the best, and with them in season, it’s the perfect time of year to try a new recipe. Read on to find easy and delicious grapefruit pies you’ll want to add to your holiday menu!
Traditional Texas Grapefruit Cream Pie!
This grapefruit pie is smooth and delicious — everything you could want in a cream-style pie! And since it’s better cold, you can whip up this easy pie recipe the night before a party or family gathering!
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
For the Pie Filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 (14 oz) cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon red grapefruit zest
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed red grapefruit juice
- ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a medium-sized bowl. Press the crust mixture along the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake the crust for 7-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk the egg yolks vigorously in a large bowl. Add the remaining pie filling ingredients. Whisk until thoroughly combined and there aren’t any lumps of sour cream remaining.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust shell.
- Bake the pie for another 20-25 minutes or until set but still slightly jiggly in the middle.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
- You can decorate the top with whipped cream, grapefruit curls, or grapefruit sections!
Texas Tangy Grapefruit Pie!
Change things up with a tangy Texas twist to your dessert menu. With a traditional pie crust and gelatin grapefruit filling, this light but tasty treat is sure to please the pickiest of eaters!
Ingredients for the Crust:
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of butter, cold and diced
- 7 to 8 tablespoons of water
Ingredients for the Filling:
- 1 Texas red grapefruit
- ½ cup sugar
- Orange zest
- 1 pinch salt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1(3-ounce) package of strawberry-flavored Gelatin
How to Make the Pie:
- To make the pie crust, combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Mix in the butter with a large fork. Add in water as needed until the dough comes together.
- From the dough in a round ball and place in the fridge for about an hour.
- Roll out the dough and slightly press into a pie pan.
- Bake the pie crust in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove and let the crust cool.
- For the filling, dice the grapefruit and let it drain in a strainer for at least four hours or overnight.
- In a small saucepan, combine the drained grapefruit, sugar, orange zest, salt, orange juice, and cornstarch. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the gelatin and stir until thoroughly combined. Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Pour cooled filling evenly into the pie crust and use a rubber spatula to smooth over the top.
- Place the pie in the fridge and let it chill overnight.
Make the Best Grapefruit Pie With Winter Sweetz Grapefruits!
To make the best grapefruit pie, you need the best kind of red grapefruit. After all, the grapefruit is the star of the show! Whip up a tasty Texas tradition wherever you’re at by ordering the juiciest and sweetest red grapefruit for your holiday baking!
Winter Sweetz grapefruits are the best, and they won’t last long! Get your order in before they’re gone, and make your loved ones a pie they won’t forget this grapefruit season!