Our Favorite Candy Grapefruit Recipes for Your Valentine
Valentine’s Day is nearly here, and for many of us, that means it’s time to find a gift for our special someone. Even if you’re single on Valentine’s Day, you can still get together with friends and loved ones to celebrate your own fabulous Palentine’s Day! No matter what you’re celebrating this February, celebrate it with some delicious Rio red grapefruit candy!
Keep reading to check out Winter Sweetz’s favorite candy grapefruit recipes! You can check out our desserts page to find even more sweet treats to share this Valentine’s!
Go for a Classic: Candied Grapefruit Peels
Candied grapefruit is the go-to when it comes to grapefruit candy, and with good reason. This tasty treat is remarkably easy to make, requiring just two ingredients. You can expect to spend about two and a half hours of prep and cook time. For some extra goodness, you can dip your finished peels in melted dark chocolate!
What You’ll Need
- 4 fresh Rio red grapefruits
- 2 ¾ cups of white sugar, divided into 1 cup and 1 ¾ cups
How To Make Your Candy Grapefruit
- Cut your fresh Rio red grapefruit into 4 parts, and peel each part, saving the peel. Cut each peel lengthwise into ¼ inch-wide strips.
- Add your peels to a saucepan and fill with two inches of water. Bring to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes
- Drain the mixture and repeat step two with fresh water. Boil a total of 5 times with fresh water, and drain.
- Add a cup of fresh water and 1 ¾ cups of sugar to the saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer. Increase the heat slowly as needed, and simmer for about one hour or until the water is gone.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the peels and the remaining cup of sugar. Allow to dry and cool on a drying rack on wax paper.
- Dust with more sugar to taste.
Stick With Tradition: Grapefruit Chocolate Bark
Let’s face it, when you think of Valentine’s Day candy, you usually think of chocolates. Well, we’ve got you covered there, too! Your Valentine is sure to adore some grapefruit chocolate bark made with fresh Rio red grapefruit.
What You’ll Need
- ¼ cup of peeled and finely chopped Rio red grapefruit
- ¼ cup of toasted sliced almonds
- 8 oz of dark baking chocolate
Making Your Candy Grapefruit
- Using parchment paper, line a baking sheet pan.
- Dry the grapefruit as much as possible using a sturdy paper towel, and sprinkle half of the chopped fruit and sliced almonds across the baking sheet.
- Chop the dark chocolate into small chunks and place in a medium-sized glass bowl. Use the microwave to melt the chocolate, stirring every 15 to 30 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate over the baking tray using a silicone spatula.
- Sprinkle the remaining fruit and nuts on top of the melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool until fully hardened. Break apart into hefty chunks and serve.
Buy Fresh Rio Red Grapefruit Online From Winter Sweetz
Whether you’re spending an evening with that special someone or all your favorite friends, they’re sure to love some scrumptious, homemade grapefruit candy. Don’t worry, there’s still time to order your own box of fresh Rio red grapefruit in time to make your candy for Valentine’s Day!
Place your online grapefruit order now and get your very own box of the sweetest, juiciest grapefruit around from Winter Sweetz! You can’t beat our fresh Rio red grapefruit!