The New Season is Almost Here, So Here’s Five Healthy Grapefruit Recipes for Seniors
The Texas red grapefruit season is right around the corner in October, and we at Winter Sweetz can’t wait to start trying some healthy new grapefruit recipes!
Today, we’ve gathered a handful of yummy recipes that make a great snack or meal for senior citizens looking for healthy food options to share among friends and family alike.
Staying healthy is important, now more than ever, and grapefruit offers plenty of vitamin C and other nutrients that help reduce inflammation, benefit your immune system, and improve heart health.
Just remember that the juice of grapefruit could deactivate an enzyme your body uses to process certain medications that treat high blood pressure, anxiety, heart arrhythmias, and cholesterol. If you use any of these, speak with your doctor before consuming.
1. Gooey Grapefruit Bars
We’re starting out with something sweet: delicious gooey grapefruit bars! These dessert bars may sound like an indulgence, but they’re actually good for you! Low in calories and high in fiber, these bars are the perfect sweet and healthy snack for any occasion.
Serves: 16 squares
Prep Time: 50 minutes
The Crust Ingredients
- 1 stick or ½ cup of unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup whole wheat or all purpose flour
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
The Filling Ingredients
- Zest of 1 Winter Sweetz Texas Rio Red Grapefruit
- ½ cup of Texas Rio Red grapefruit juice
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of sugar
- Dash of lemon
- 2 Tbsp of all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp of cornstarch
- Confectioners sugar for garnish
- Set your oven temperature to 350F.
- Prep a 9×9 baking dish with a parchment paper lining. Make sure there’s slack on the ends for easy removal of your bars.
- In a mixer or by hand, mix together your flour and sugar until the mixture is uniform and there is no dry flour.
- Using your fingers or the bottom side of a metal measuring cup, press the crust mixture evenly into the pan.
- Bake your crust for 15 minutes.
- While your crust is in the oven, mix together your filling ingredients until there are no lumps and all ingredients are well mixed.
- While the crust is still hot, pour the filling mix evenly into the pan.
- Bake the bars until they set, usually another 25 minutes.
- Place your bars in the refrigerator to fully cool before garnishing with a layer of confectioner’s sugar.
- Serve and enjoy!
2. Avocado and Grapefruit Summer Salad
If you’re a big fan of grapefruit recipes, you’ve probably seen one pairing again and again: grapefruit and avocado. These two ingredients are powerhouses of health and nutrition, so it’s no wonder they’re often found together! Plus, they make an absolutely scrumptious pair!
Prep Time: 20 minutes or less
What You’ll Need
- 2 Texas Red grapefruits
- 2 avocados
How to Make It
- First, you will need to “supreme” your grapefruit! It sounds fancy, but it’s pretty straightforward. Slice about a half-inch off the top and bottom of the fruit, exposing its “meat”. Then, use a sharp knife to cut the peel off the grapefruit while following the curve of the fruit. Cut away enough of the peel to fully expose the fruit within.
- Next, cut the grapefruit into sections following the membranes of the fruit.
- Peel and slice your avocados.
- Arrange a bed of lettuce on your plates, and spread your grapefruit and avocado slices evenly across them.
- Finish your salad preparation with a citrus vinaigrette or your dressing of choice.
3. Quick and Easy Grapefruit Popsicles
These four-ingredient popsicles are so healthy and light that they transcend the dessert category! Dairy-free and low in calories, these popsicles make a great snack, dessert, or even a quick breakfast for you or your grandkids. Needless to say, any grapefruit fans who are 65+ ought to give this simple recipe a try!
Prep Time: 20 minutes prep plus at least 4 hours for freezing
- 1 tsp of Texas Rio Red grapefruit zest
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 Tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups of freshly squeezed Texas Rio Red grapefruit juice
- 1 cup of water
- In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, grapefruit zest, and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove the mixture from the heat to cool for a few minutes.
- Add and stir in both fruit juices.
- Run the mix through a fine-mesh sieve to remove any pulp. The, let the mixture cool.
- Divide the mix equally into a popsicle mold and freeze them until solid, four hours or more.
4. Grapefruit and Greens Salad
This salad may just be the healthiest recipe we at Winter Sweetz have ever seen! Packed with all sorts of healthy ingredients, this salad is a great source of nutrients for those 65+. From protein to fiber to delicious Rio Red grapefruit, this salad has it all!
Prep Time: 1 hour
What You’ll Use
- 2 Texas Rio Red grapefruits
- 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
- 2 ripened and firm avocados
- 1 cup of unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups of fresh broccoli
- 4 cups of kale, torn
- ¼ head of purple cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup of fresh parsley and cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Vegan parmesan or food processed pine nuts
- Hemp and chia seed for topping
- Lemon tahini dressing or your dressing of choice
- Set your oven to 425F.
- Spread and dry the chickpeas on a clean towel.
- Toss chickpeas and coconut with soy sauce, sesame oil, and cayenne pepper in a baking sheet. Evenly coat the mix.
- Roast the mix for 20 minutes. Then stir and roast the mix for another ten minutes.
- In a large bowl, massage the kale with olive oil and a pinch of salt until well coated and softened.
- Add the broccoli, parsley, cilantro, and cabbage. Toss together well.
- Add the dressing and continue to toss the salad until evenly coated.
- Finally, add the grapefruit and avocado before lightly tossing for a final time.
- Serve divided into bowls and topped with the coconut, chickpeas, the parmesan, hemp, and chia seeds to taste.
5. Sunrise Chia Grapefruit Smoothie
No grapefruit recipe list is complete without at least one smoothie recipe! Grapefruit makes the perfect addition to just about any smoothie, but this recipe has them paired with fiber-packed chia seeds for an especially healthy smoothie!
- ½ cup Texas Rio Red grapefruit juice
- ½ cup of pineapple juice
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup of frozen raspberries
- ½ cup of light coconut milk
- 1 tsp of natural sweetener
- ½ cup of crushed ice
- This is an easy one: combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Serve fresh and enjoy!
Seniors, enjoy your golden years with some of these sweet red grapefruit recipes, and don’t forget to pick up an order when the next season comes around in a couple of months!
Contact Us Now