Spookily Sweet Treats to Enjoy This Halloween
Monsters, skeletons, pumpkins. Oh my!
Children walking up and down your street,
Knocking on every door, “Trick-or-Treat!”
If you’re lucky, you may see a witch or two, on their broom,
And even see a moon in full bloom.
Halloween is a time full of scary fun and candy. All around the nation, young ghouls and gals are eager to enjoy some sweet treats. From candy to cakes, Halloween is full of tasty snacks — but parents aren’t always happy with all that sugar being consumed.
With this in mind, the good folks at WintersweetzTM want to share some sweet Halloween recipes that feature Texas Rio Red grapefruit in them!! These treats are sure to make this one Halloween to remember.
Halloween Treat Recipes for Grapefruit Lovers
1.Texas Rio Red Grapefruit Taffy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Makes: 6 dozen
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 12 oz. of fresh grapefruit juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of half and half cream
- ½ cup of butter
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the first four ingredients.
- Cook and mix over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook until a candy thermometer reads 245 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the pan from the heat and gradually add the cream and butter.
- Place the pan back on the stove and stir all ingredients until the mixture reaches 245 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour the mixture into a greased pan and let it cool.
- When cooled enough, roll into ½ in. logs.
- Wrap individually in foil or waxed paper and twist ends.
2.Grapefruit Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Makes: Approximately 2-3 dozen cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 medium grapefruit, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1-2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
- Chop the dark chocolates into rough chunks and bits, set them aside.
- Measure flour, salt, and the zest of grapefruit into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- With the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, stir together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until fluffy, airy, and lighter in color.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and vanilla extract, and mix until blended.
- With the mixer on a low stir, slowly add the dry ingredients.
- Gently stir in the chopped dark chocolate chips.
- Place the dough on a clean, lightly floured surface.
- Gently gather the dough together into a disk by gently patting and then pat to flatten the top.
- Once you have a round disk shape, use a knife to cut directly in half and set it aside.
- Clean your work surface, then lay down a sheet of parchment paper.
- Drop one of the dough halves on the parchment paper and use your hands to shape a rough log shape, roll it into a smooth log.
- Wrap the parchment paper around your dough log, lengthwise. Then, twist each end of the paper into pigtails in opposite directions (one towards you and one away from you). With each twist, the dough will compress and smooth out.
- Repeat with the second log.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove dough logs from the fridge and unroll on a cutting board.
- Use a knife to slice the log into ¼ inch – ½ inch thick cookies.
- This should make about 16 to 20 cookies per log.
- Next, arrange them on a baking sheet, evenly spaced with at least 1 inch between each cookie.
- Bake for about 16-18 minutes.
- Repeat for the second log or place the second log in the freezer to bake cookies another day.
- Allow cookies to cool when done on a cooling rack.
3.Grapefruit Hard Candy
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 3 ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 ½ cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit extract
- ½ teaspoon food coloring (optional)
- ¼ cup confectioner’s sugar for dusting
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the white sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and water is boiling.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in flavored extract and food coloring.
- Pour onto a greased cookie sheet and dust the top with confectioner’s sugar.
- Let cool and break into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Have a Spooky Good Time With Winter Sweetz Texas Red Grapefruits
You are sure to have the most SPOOK-tacular Halloween with these delicious sweet treats and the best part is that you’ll be enjoying Texas Rio Red grapefruits. Trick-or-treat, they will also be a healthier alternative when compared to other sweets.