Spook-takular Halloween Grapefruit Cakes and Pies
It’s almost Halloween! From scary costumes to carved pumpkins and delicious treats, children (and adults) sure do love the spooky season. And while going door to door receiving candy is a great experience for our little ones, those sugary sweets aren’t always great for their teeth and health.
This Halloween, WintersweetzTM wants to share with you some tasty recipes that aren’t just delicious but made with our one-of-a-kind Texas red grapefruits.
1.Grapefruit Cheesecake Recipe
- 2 ½ cups finely crushed crisp almond cookies
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest plus ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup grapefruit marmalade
- 1 tablespoon fresh grapefruit juice
- 3 grapefruit, peeled, sliced, and patted dry
Step 1: Preparing the crust
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place foil on a 9-inch pan.
- Stir together cookies, butter, and sugar.
- Then press the crust onto the bottom of the pan (about 1 inch up the sides of the pan).
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven and let it cool completely for about 30 minutes.
Step 2: Preparing the cheesecake
- Beat cream cheese with a mixer on medium speed for three minutes or until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar and flour, continuing to beat till smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each egg is cracked.
- Beat in zest, juice, and vanilla on low speed until combined.
- Pour into a baking pan with crust already in.
Step 3: Bake
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 10 to 20 minutes.
- Once you take it out, let it cool completely for about 2 hours.
- Cover with aluminum foil and chill for 8 to 12 hours.
- Once chilled, run a knife around the outer edge to detach from the sides of the pan.
Step 4: Preparing the topping
- Stir together the marmalade and juice in a microwavable bowl.
- Microwave on high for about 45 seconds.
- Once it’s done in the microwave, stir to create glaze.
- Take cheesecake out of the refrigerator and arrange grapefruit slices on cheesecake.
- Brush with glaze.
2. Chocolate Cake with Texas Rio RedGrapefruit Glaze
- 200 grams unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 110 grams of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- ½ cup almond meal
- 200 grams of dark chocolate (70 percent cocoa solids), chopped, melted, cooled
- Candied ruby grapefruit
Candied Ruby Grapefruit
- 1 small ruby grapefruit
- 1 cup caster sugar
Ruby Grapefruit Glaze
- 1 ¾ pure icing sugar, sifted
- ⅓ ruby grapefruit juice
- ¼ tsp pink food coloring
Step 1: Making the candied ruby grapefruit
Place grapefruit in a saucepan of cold water and over medium heat.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2 minutes.
Drain and refresh under cold running water.
Use a serrated knife cut into 8 mm wedges.
Place sugar and ½ cup of water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to a simmer and add grapefruit.
Cook for 10 minutes or until the skin is almost translucent.
Place on a wire rack set over a tray to drain.
Let grapefruit dry for 2 hours to drain any excess sugar.
Preheat the oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease and line the base and sides of a 1.5 L terrine mold.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugars, and vanilla until thick and pale.
Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
Fold in remaining ingredients, except candied grapefruit, until smooth and combined.
Pour into terrine mold and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes.
Once done, let cool in the pan completely.
For glaze, place ingredients in a bowl and combine.
Remove cake from pan and drizzle over icing and top with candied Texas red grapefruit.
Step 2: Making the grapefruit cake
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit zest
- ½ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease and flour two 2-inch pans.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time and then stir in the vanilla and grapefruit zest.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the grapefruit juice and milk. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Put in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Delicious Texas Rio Red Grapefruits
These delicious recipes are sure to satisfy any sweet tooth this Halloween. And our WintersweetzTM Rio Red Grapefruits is almost here!