October 25, 2018
Grapefruit Crème Brûlée
For the Custard:
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 9 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons juice from Winter Sweetz grapefruit
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Zest of 1 Winter Sweetz grapefruit
For the Topping:
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Winter Sweetz grapefruit segments and fresh blueberries, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F; heat large kettle of water to boiling. Place six 5- to 6-ounce ramekins in roasting pan.
- In small saucepan, heat cream and 6 tablespoons sugar over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes until cream just starts to bubble around edges of pan (do not bring to a full boil).
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk egg yolks, grapefruit juice, vanilla, salt and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar until well combined. While whisking, use ladle to slowly add 4 ladlefuls of hot cream mixture to egg mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining cream mixture. Strain through fine mesh strainer into large liquid measuring cup. Stir in grapefruit zest.
- Divide custard mixture between ramekins; place roasting pan in oven. Add enough boiling water to come halfay up sides of the ramekins. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until custards are just set (they should tremble slightly in the middle, but be set on outer edges).
- Use tongs or pancake turner to carefully transfer ramekins to cooling rack; let stand 30 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 4 hours or up to 2 days before serving.