Planning the Perfect Valentine’s Day Dinner With Sweet Texas Grapefruit!
Valentine’s Day is coming up quickly! If you haven’t made a reservation or just want to avoid busy restaurants, why not make your own delicious and romantic dinner at home? Pop open a bottle of wine, turn on some of your favorite tunes, and cook a four-course meal together!
Keep reading to find the best grapefruit recipes you and your love can enjoy for Valentine’s Day dinner!
The First Course:
Refreshing Avocado and Red Grapefruit Salad!
We want something bright and refreshing for the first course to kick things off! This salad does just the trick — it’s tasty, light, and even pretty to look at!
- 4 cups of mixed greens, spinach, or leaf lettuce
- 1 large red grapefruit, peeled and segmented
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- ¼ cup almonds, chopped
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Toss and serve right away.
Course Two: Blackened Shrimp and Texas Grapefruit Skewers!
Since the salad had a bright and refreshing taste, it’s time to bring on a warm and tangy appetizer! With the delicious grapefruit flavor alongside grilled shrimp, what could go wrong? Serve alongside a tasty grapefruit cocktail to spice things up!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Texas red grapefruits, peeled and segmented
Heat the Grill:
- Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pour the oil into a large grill pan over medium heat or heat and oil your outdoor grill. Add the shrimp.
- Sprinkle half of the spice mixture onto the shrimp, and cook for three minutes.
- Flip the shrimp and add the rest of the spice mix. Cook for another three minutes and remove from heat.
- Skewer the grilled shrimp and grapefruit segments together and serve warm!
The Main Course: Grapefruit Marinated Flank Steak!
Many romantic menus include a type of surf and turf. After the “surf” with your shrimp appetizers, let’s round out the meal with a “turf” entree! This steak is juicy, tender, and oh-so-good. Serve it with some of your favorite roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables to complete the course!
The Grapefruit Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ of red grapefruit, juiced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
The Creamy Cilantro Dressing:
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ of poblano pepper, seeds removed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 16 to 20 oz flank steak, or your favorite cut
- Mix the grapefruit marinade and pour it into a large plastic bag along with the flank steak. Seal the bag and set it in the fridge for at least four hours or overnight.
- Heat a cast iron pan, grill pan, or grill. Do not use any oil! When the pan is very hot, place the marinated steak in the pan. Cook until the meat reaches your desired temperature.
- Let it sit on a cutting board for 8 minutes before serving.
- Blend the cilantro dressing ingredients in a blender and serve with the steak.
Course Four: Red Grapefruit Pavlovas!
Get creative with this fancy and elegant dessert — don’t worry, it’s pretty simple! It’s also the perfect dessert to finish off your Valentine’s Day meal together. If meringue isn’t your thing, try a delicious grapefruit cheesecake instead!
Your Ingredient List:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Red food coloring (optional)
- 3 Texas red grapefruits, peeled, segmented, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Your Baking Steps:
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix cornstarch and ¼ cup granulated sugar in a small bowl.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric beater until soft peaks form. Add 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar — one tablespoon at a time — beating well between each addition. Slowly add the cornstarch mixture and beat on high until the whites are stiff and glossy. This should take about 2 minutes. Add in vanilla, vinegar, and food coloring.
- Spoon ⅓ cup of the meringue into eight mounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Spread each mound into three-inch disks. With the back of a spoon, press the center to make a deep indent.
- Bake the meringue until it’s dry and forms a crust–about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Do not open the door when the meringues are done. Turn off the oven and let them cool inside the oven for one hour.
- Meanwhile, whisk the jam and grapefruit juice and add the grapefruit segments.
- Beat the heavy cream, yogurt, and powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Serve the meringue filled with the cream mixture and topped with fruit!
Celebrate Your Love With Winter Sweetz Grapefruits!
Valentine’s Day is a fantastic excuse to set aside some time to express your love for one another. And while the whole dining out experience can be fun, change things up by staying in and cooking Valentine’s Day dinner at home!
You need the best grapefruits to make your dinner a success. Winter Sweetz grapefruits are the sweetest, juiciest, and tastiest grapefruits you’ll ever have! Order a box of red grapefruits, cross them off your shopping list, and get to cooking!