Grapefruits Are More “A-peeling” Than You Think
Grapefruits…they’re juicy, sweet, nutritious, and absolutely delicious. We slice them, dice them, squeeze them, peel them, and eat them.
Unfortunately, most people throw away the peel without a second thought. But there’s so much more you can take from the grapefruit.
Did you know that grapefruit peel can be just as beneficial and tasty as the actual fruit? And if you start taking advantage of all the parts of the fruit, then you’ll really enjoy the benefits of this superfood.
Why Eat Grapefruit Peel?
When we look closely into the grapefruit peel, we find pectin, which is a type of fiber found in various fruits and often used in the creation of medicine. Grapefruit peels offer approximately 7.5 grams of pectin, which is frequently consumed by individuals who are trying to naturally maintain their cholesterol levels.
Different Ways You Can Use Grapefruit Peel
Grapefruit peels can be used in a variety of ways including but not limited to:
- Skincare Routine
- Sweet Treats
- And many more!
Benefits of Using the Peel
1. Environmentally Friendly
In the U.S., food waste affects 30 to 40 percent of the food supply. The sad truth is that edible portions of fruits and veggies are often thrown away simply because it’s so easy to do so, and because we often don’t see the negative effects it can have on our environment. All of this potentially usable food ends up in landfills instead of being consumed.
One way to minimize this waste is by making sure you take full advantage of all the parts of the foods you consume – including grapefruits. It’s quite easy to do this and through time, the benefits will add up for both you and the environment.
2. Getting More for Your Buck
When you use grapefruit peel, you will be making better use of the entire fruit, meaning you’re getting more bang for your buck. With various ways to utilize grapefruit and its peel, there’s no question you will encounter unique ways to use this versatile treat.
3. More Nutritional Value for Your Body
Grapefruits provide a wide range of health benefits, from the various vitamins and minerals they offer to helping improve your skin. Grapefruits are mighty both inside and out, so take full advantage of all the parts of this one-of-a-kind fruit.
Ways You Can Start to Use Grapefruit Peel Today
Grapefruit Vinegar Cleaner
- 1 16 oz canning jar (any glass jar with lid will work)
- 1 Texas Rio Red grapefruit (peels only)
- 2 drops of grapefruit essential oil (optional)
- Empty spray bottle
- Put the grapefruit peels in the canning jar.
- Pour vinegar into the jar, covering the peels, and then tightly close the lid.
- Store for about 2 weeks and then pour the final product into a spray bottle.
- Use for all your cleaning needs!
Candied Grapefruit Peel
- 2 large Texas Rio Red grapefruits
- 1 cup sugar (more for tossing)
- Place the peel, 1 cup of sugar, and 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the peel becomes translucent
- Drain and transfer to a wire rack and let dry for 2-4 hours
- Toss in more sugar and enjoy!
With various ways to utilize the grapefruit peel, Winter SweetzTM is more than happy to provide you with the very best sweet red grapefruits. To learn more about our Texas Rio Red grapefruits and other benefits grapefruit can offer, “Like” and “Follow” Winter SweetzTM on Facebook.