Grapefruit Goodies to Treat Your Sweet Tooth
It’s officially the first day of the Winter Sweetz grapefruit season! You can order some deliciously juicy and fresh Texas red grapefruit online from Winter Sweetz today!
After all, Halloween is over, but that doesn’t mean your sweet tooth is satisfied! Rather than continuing to dig into the sugary candy bars and sticky sweets of trick-or-treat season, try making your own healthy and delicious treats with Texas grapefruits! With a natural sweet and tart flavor, grapefruits can bring your candy dish to a whole new level!
Sugary Texas Red Grapefruit Gumdrops
Who doesn’t love some gummy sweet treats? Whip up these easy drops as a gift to a friend, or keep them all to yourself! Make them into cubes or other fun shapes, like circles, flowers, or baby feet for a baby shower.
What You’ll Need:
- Non-Stick cooking spray
- Non-Stick foil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light-color corn syrup
- ¾ cup strained Texas red grapefruit juice
- 1 teaspoon red grapefruit zest
- 1 (1.75 ounce) package regular powdered fruit pectin
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 – 2 drops liquid red food coloring
- ½ cup coarse sugar
How to Make These Delicious Grapefruit Candies:
- Line an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan with foil, and make sure it extends over the pan’s edges. Coat the foil with the nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Make sure to stir constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to medium and keep the mixture at a steady boil. Cook without stirring for 7 to 10 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 280 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While waiting for the mixture to finish, combine grapefruit juice, pectin, and baking soda in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
- Remove the sugar mixture from heat. Bring the pectin mixture to a boil again. Slowly add the hot sugar mixture into the boiling pectin mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for one more minute, still stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grapefruit zest and food coloring. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Let it sit for at least 2 hours or until firm. Using the foil edges, lift the candy from the pan. Cut the candy into 32 one-inch pieces. Toss each piece in coarse sugar to coat, and enjoy!
Ooey Gooey Chocolate Dipped Grapefruit Peels!
Don’t throw those grapefruit peels away! You can use the peels to make delicious chocolate candy! Reduce your temptation to eat all the chocolate while whipping these up — if you can make it to the end, these grapefruit peels will be worth it all!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 4 large Texas red grapefruits
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- 8 ounces chocolate candy coating
- Peel the grapefruits very carefully, keeping as much of them intact as possible.
- Slice the peels into long thin strips. Using a sharp knife, cut away any of the bitter white pith from the underside of the peels. Don’t worry if small amounts of white pith remain.
- Place the peels in a medium saucepan and cover them with cold water. Place the pan over high heat and bring the pot to a boil. Once boiling, remove the pan from the heat and drain the peels out. Repeat this step two more times. It helps remove most of the bitterness and make them sweeter.
- Combine the water, sugar, and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir while the sugar dissolves, and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the peels and reduce the heat to low until the mixture is simmering. Place a circle of parchment paper on top of the peels to prevent the peels from getting leathery. Simmer until the peels are translucent.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow it to cool to lukewarm. Once cool, set the peels on a wire rack over a baking sheet to dry out. Let them dry out naturally for about 24 hours.
- Dip the peels in chocolate and let it set before enjoying!
Get the Tastiest Grapefruits From Winter Sweetz!
While these recipes can work with any type of citrus fruit, choosing the best-tasting fruit will take your candy experience from good to great! From chocolatey goodness to chewy gumdrops, choose the one that makes your mouth water!
So select the tastiest, sweetest, and juiciest red grapefruit from Winter Sweetz to make the best candy ever! What are you waiting for!?