Enjoying the Last Days of Summer
A Few Grapefruit Drink Recipes To Stay Cool As Summer Blazes On
Summertime – at least for the kiddos – is coming to an end. But just because vacation time is about to end doesn’t mean that we can’t still celebrate.
Or that temperatures are going to dip for that matter.
Depending on where you stay in the country, you may continue to see some scorching days. Fortunately, you can make the ever-versatile grapefruit a part of your plan to stay chill while the mercury continues to rise.
Grapefruit can add that extra zest to a number of recipes and give you plenty of fresh ammunition to fight off those long, hot summer days.
If you’re thinking this is something like a snow cone, you’re not far off. This time-tested favorite is a great way for you to get away from the too-sugary options you might find at a snack stand and to a much tastier and unique, natural dessert.
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 cups of water
- A loaf pan or similar sized/shaped container
What You’ll Do:
- Mix the sugar and water together, bringing to a slight boil for 15 minutes.
- Let cool after moving from heat.
- Stir in the 2 cups of grapefruit juice.
- Pour into pan and leave in freezer overnight.
Yield: serves 2-4
Prep time: about 30 min
Total time: 7-8 hours (w/ freeze time)
There might be a bit of a pattern here, but cold treats are always great on a hot day. This tasty option is even simpler than the grapefruit ice, boasting only two cooking ingredients.
Not only will this refreshing dessert cool you off, but it will go a long way towards quenching your thirst as well.
What To Bring:
- 5 ½ cups of fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice (about 6 large grapefruits)
- 1 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- A loaf pan (you can even use the same one)
- Ice cream maker
What to Do:
- Mix one cup of juice and the sugar over medium heat in a saucepan.
- Stir until sugar dissolves and cook for about 5 minutes.
- After removing from heat, pour into a large bowl with the rest of the grapefruit juice.
- Place in refrigerator until chilled, about 25-30 minutes.
- Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and churn as desired or instructed on your machine.
- Once done, pour into pan and place pan in freezer for 6-8 hours.
Yield: serves 4-6
Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 8 hours (w/ freeze time)
Honey Roasted Grapefruit Parfait Popsicles
As much fun as it is to scoop up a nice, frozen treat with a spoon and relax, a little variety is nice. Popsicles are an excellent alternative to eating out of a bowl, and once these are frozen, they will give you a cooling and healthy snack.
- 3 grapefruits, peeled and sliced into wedges
- 1 Tbsp. of sugar
- 2 cups of yogurt or yogurt alternative
- 1 Tbsp. of honey
- ½ cup honey roasted sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Place grapefruit wedges on baking sheet and sprinkle sugar on them
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Once grapefruit has caramelized, mix with yogurt or yogurt alternative, honey, and almonds in a large bowl
- Pour mixture into popsicle mold and freeze
Yield: 8 popsicles
Prep time: 40 minutes
Total time: Up to 8 hours (w/ freeze time)
A little bit more goes into these recipes than others involving grapefruit but they are well worth the wait. Extra time and effort are required in many things and finding a way to stay cool during the waning days of summer is no exception.
We hope that the time and efforts you put into making these treats are as rewarding for you as the care we put into our quality grapefruits. Winter Sweetz’ Texas Red Grapefruits are the result of many years of hard work and continued effort to maintain the highest standards for our customers.
Contact us today at 956-424-7775 and tell us about how any of our other recipes have become a part of your lives. We are always excited to hear from the people who love our grapefruits and talk about any recipe ideas you might have of your own.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.