5 Grapefruit Recipes Vegans Will Love This Holiday Season!
Don’t forget about your vegan friends during the holidays! Don’t worry, you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy these delicious and easy grapefruit recipes!
From appetizers to desserts, the Texas red grapefruit gives vegan dishes a whole new zing. Find your new favorite grapefruit recipes below for all of your family and friends, whether they’re vegan or not!
Appetizer: Vegan Meatballs With Grapefruit Glaze!
This easy appetizer recipe is so good that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy it! It has a lot of ingredients, but it’ll be worth it when you taste the smooth grapefruit glaze covering the moist “meat”!
- 1 pound vegan ground beef
- 1/3 cup vegan breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sage powder
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Texas red grapefruit zest
- 1 large Texas red grapefruit, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix almond milk and bread crumbs in a small bowl, and let it sit for five minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix all the remaining meatball ingredients. Then add in the breadcrumbs mixture.
- Scoop and roll into a one-inch ball, and bake for 30 mins.
- Mix all of the glaze ingredients in a saute pan. Bring it to a simmer. Add the cooked meatballs and continue simmering for 7 to 10 minutes until the sauce is thick.
Salad: Winter Grapefruit and Kale Salad!
This salad is perfect as an appetizer or another course in your holiday meal plan. Or make it one big single serving for lunch!
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Rio Red grapefruits, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
- Dash of salt and ground black pepper
- Bring quinoa and broth to a simmer in a saucepan, and cook while covered for 15 minutes. Then cook uncovered for another five to seven minutes. Let cool.
- Chop kale and toss with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add grapefruit, pomegranate seeds, almonds, and cooled quinoa to the kale.
- Shake the remaining ingredients in a jar to make a grapefruit dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and serve!
Entree: Grapefruit and Avocado Salsa With Grilled Tofu!
Make a beautiful vegan-friendly grilled dinner with a refreshing grapefruit and avocado salsa! With the grill marks and bright colors, it’ll look so pretty that you’ll want to take a quick picture before diving in!
Tofu and Marinade Ingredients:
- 2 packages of firm tofu
- 1/2 cup red grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 red grapefruit
- 2 navel oranges
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- Slice the tofu blocks into even halves. Set them on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the juices and olive oil.
- On a large plate, arrange the tofu blocks, and season the tofu with cayenne pepper and salt. Pour the marinade evenly over the tofu. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- For the salsa, peel and chop the grapefruit and oranges. Add in the bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, and salt. Stir well, cover, and refrigerate.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat and add one teaspoon of olive oil. Grill the tofu for about three minutes per side, occasionally turning to make those beautiful grill marks.
- Remove the tofu and set aside. Add the spinach to the pan and stir it until slightly wilted.
- Arrange the spinach in the center of your plate, then set the tofu on top. Serve with grapefruit salsa and avocado chunks!
Dessert: Grapefruit Sugar Cookies!
We can’t forget about dessert, and nothing feels more like the holidays than the classic sugar cookie! Change things up by making it vegan with a twist of grapefruit juice!
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Egg substitute for two large eggs
- 3 tablespoons chunky applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Texas red grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons Texas red grapefruit zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/4 cups potato starch
- 1 1/4 cups garbanzo bean flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine butter and sugar until fluffy in a large bowl. Add the egg substitute, applesauce, grapefruit juice, zest, and almond extract.
- In another bowl, add the remaining ingredients together. Add to the wet mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Scoop dough into one-inch balls, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Let cookies cool before serving.
Cocktail Hour: Grapefruit Winter Kiss!
Either before or after the main course or alongside your grapefruit sugar cookies, your loved ones will love this refreshing grapefruit vegan mocktail!
- Red cocktail sugar
- Lime wedges
- 1 to 2 ounces of raspberry simple syrup
- 2 ounces red grapefruit juice
- Sparkling water
- Decorate your glasses with the lime wedge and red sugar.
- Pour in the grapefruit juice, followed by the simple syrup.
- Top off with sparkling water.
Making Vegans Happy With Winter Sweetz’s Grapefruits!
No one wants to be left out during a holiday meal, but these vegan recipes are not only beautiful and colorful, they’re also delicious! Pick up all your ingredients and make this perfect vegan meal that’ll satisfy everyone’s dietary wants!
As you write your shopping list, you’ll notice that you’ll need a lot of grapefruit. Make your shopping experience easier by ordering a box of the most delicious and juiciest red grapefruits!