3 Winter Sweetz Ways to Celebrate Halloween (Plus Something for the Adults)
Grapefruits are finally in season, and you could add the versatile and delicious Texas red grapefruit in your Halloween treats this year.
At Winter Sweetz, we want to provide both kids and grown-ups with creative and yummy recipes they will love this spooky season. And don’t worry; we also cooked up something exclusive for the parents, too!
Grapefruit Jack-O’-Lantern Stuffed with Fall Fruit Salad
Our first recipe is both delicious and fits the Halloween aesthetic perfectly. Start by cutting a small piece on top of your grapefruit.
First, it’s time to make the fall fruit salad that will go into your little Jack-o’-lanterns.
- 1 cup of Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit chunks
- 2 medium-sized oranges
- 2 lemons juiced
- 3 large granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- ½ to ¾ of a cup of pistachios
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Once these ingredients have been prepped and mixed together, it’s time to get started on these cute little grapefruit jack-o’-lanterns.
Here’s what to do next:
- Proceed to carefully scoop out the Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit from the skin until there is no fruit left inside.
- Afterward, cut a small Jack-o’-lantern face into the grapefruit. It is best to carefully use a very small paring knife.
- Stuff your fall fruit salad into your grapefruit Jack-o’-lanterns and voila! You have a cute Halloween decoration and treat!
Total Time: Roughly 1 hour
Yields: 3-4 Jack-o’-lanterns
Grapefruit Pȃte de Fruit
This delicious treat will give you a sweet burst of citrus with a beautiful, bright fall/orange color. These candies are sure to get you in the Halloween spirit.
Gather these ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups of smooth applesauce (unsweetened)
- 2 ½ cups of granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup of Winter Sweetz grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon of powdered pectin
- ½ teaspoon of grapefruit zest
- 4 drops of red food coloring (optional)
- Cut parchment paper into a 16-inch piece. Then fold over the edges so that it measures 8 inches in width. Line an 8X8 baking pan with parchment paper, seam-side down. Fit the parchment paper smoothly into baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together 1 cup of sugar, the grapefruit juice, the applesauce, and the pectin. Once mixed, place over medium heat, and bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Next, dip a candy thermometer into the mixture, and add another 1 cup of sugar. Then, set aside the remaining ½ cup of sugar. Cook and stir the mixture until it reaches 220 degrees Fahrenheit. This should take about 25 minutes.
- Once it is at the right temperature, remove it from the heat. Take out the thermometer and stir in the food coloring and zest. Then pour the mixture into the baking pan lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for about 2 to 3 hours or until it is set.
- Take out the pan from the refrigerator, and turn pan upside down and peel off the parchment paper.
- Cut the candy into 1-inch squares and fully coat with the remaining sugar.
- Store candies in a container with a lid at room temperature. You may also refrigerate for up to 2 weeks if you choose.
Total Time: 3 hours
Yields: 64 1-inch Squares
Creepy Realistic Worms (Made Out of Grapefruit)
These slimy worms may look like real worms, but they certainly are yummy tasting. Try them, if you dare!
Here’s what you’ll need:
4 cups of Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit juice
- 4 packets of unflavored powdered gelatin
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon of white food dye
- 1 drop of avocado green pastel gel dye
- 100 flexible (bendy) plastic straws
- 1 tall 1 quart or liter carton of milk
Here’s what to do:
- Pour 2 cups of grapefruit juice into a container.
- Add gelatin to mixture and stir. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Put the mixture in the microwave for 1 min on high.
- Add sugar to mixture and stir. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the 2 remaining cups of grapefruit juice.
- Add the white food dye to the mixture and stir until opaque.
- Add a small drop of light green avocado gel dye to make the mixture slightly less pink and closer to a brownish, earthworm color.
- Open the package of bendy straws and put them in a tall container with the bendy side down.
- Pour the mixture into the container and let it sit for about 4 hours.
- Take the straws out of the tall container. Leave behind excess jello.
- With a few straws at a time, run them under warm water for about 30 seconds to loosen the jello within. Then press against the ends of the straws with a rolling pin. This will allow the candy worms to be easily extracted.
Voila! Now you have squiggly-yet-tasty treats that may intrigue, delight, and creep out your party guests all at once.
Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes
A Haunting Halloween Cocktail
At Winter Sweetz, we want the adults to have responsible fun with some tasty treats to enjoy, too. This bright and strong cocktail can really spice up your spine-shivering shindig.
Grab some of this:
- 1 ounce of Winter Sweetz Texas red grapefruit juice
- 2 ounces of Jagermeister
- ½ ounce of tequila
- ½ ounce of simple syrup
- 1 small grapefruit slice to garnish
- 1 pinch of salt to garnish
- 3-5 ice cubes
- In a cocktail shaker, pour in the ice, tequila, Jagermeister, grapefruit juice, and simple syrup.
- Shake the cocktail and strain it into a chilled glass.
- Garnish your drink with a small slice of grapefruit and add a pinch of salt.
- Enjoy your drink on Halloween!
Remember to enjoy these–and other–cocktails responsibly. Keep it a fun and safe Halloween for everyone by getting an uber or designated driver to take you home at the end of the night.
Total Time: 3 minutes