3 New Ways to Make Perfect Crème Brûlèe Grapefruit Treats!
If you’re looking for a way to wow your family and friends with an easy and delicious dessert, you’ve come to the right place! Crème brûlèe is a classic dessert perfect for any party, and Texas red grapefruit can be the “cherry” on top!
The natural tart flavor of grapefruit will surely bring your crème brûlèe recipe to a whole new level! Whip up one or all three of these crème brûlèe grapefruit recipes for your next dinner or work party!
Classic Crème Brûlèe With a Grapefruit Twist!
With this version of grapefruit crème brûlèe, you don’t even need special dishes. Plus, you use the whole grapefruit, rind and all!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Rio Red grapefruits
- 2 ¾ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup grapefruit juice
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Hand-held kitchen torch
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a simmer.
- Finely grate about 1 ½ teaspoons of zest from the top and bottom of each grapefruit to flatten them out. Set the zest aside for later use.
- Cut the grapefruits in half crosswise.
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut around the edge of the grapefruit flesh.
- Use a spoon to remove as much of the fruit as possible.
- Squeeze out about 2 tablespoons of juice from the grapefruit.
- Line a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish with a paper towel and set the grapefruit shells on top.
- Add the cream, ½ cup sugar, and the reserved grapefruit zest to a medium saucepan. Bring it to barely a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl, and when the cream is hot, gradually whisk it into the yolks.
- Whisk in the vanilla and reserved grapefruit juice, then strain the mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into a liquid measuring cup.
- Pour the custard into the grapefruit shells.
- Put the baking dish in the oven, then carefully add enough of the simmering water so that it reaches about halfway up the sides of the grapefruits.
- Bake until the custard is set, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Carefully transfer the grapefruit shells to a large plate and refrigerate for 1 ½ hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle the rest of the sugar evenly on top of the custard. Use the torch to brûlèe the sugar until it becomes a beautiful golden brown!
Crème Brûlèe Grapefruit Tartlets!
Whether you want a finishing touch to a fancy meal or need a perfect party finger food, these grapefruit crème brûlèe tartlets can be your new go-to! Serve these tarts alongside some delicious grapefruit segments!
For the Crème:
- 1 tablespoon finely grated red grapefruit zest
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup thin cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
For the Crust:
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅓ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 cup chilled butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
6 Steps to Make Perfect Grapefruit Tartlets!
- Whisk together the grapefruit zest, juice, eggs, cream, and sugar in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the crust, pulse the flour, almond meal, icing sugar, and butter in a food processor until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and blend until it comes together. Gently knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth. Shape into a disc, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and place it in mini tart pans. Place the pans back in the fridge for 15 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place parchment paper over the dough and fill each pan with pie weights or dry beans. Bake for five to six minutes. Remove the weight and paper and bake for five more minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 300 degrees, and strain the cream mixture to remove any lumps. Pour evenly on top of the crust and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool and then place in the fridge until chilled. Before serving, sprinkle the tops with sugar and torch with a hand-held kitchen torch until the sugar caramelizes!
5 Minute Grapefruit Brûlèe
Maybe you just want a quick dessert to make tonight and don’t want to wait for the crème to chill! Or, if you don’t really like the cream part of a crème brûlèe but love the caramelized sugar topping, try this quick brûlèed grapefruit!
All You Need:
- 1 large Texas red grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Start the 5 Minute Countdown!
- Start by cutting your grapefruit in half.
- Use a small knife and cut around each grapefruit segment to make it easier to eat.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over each grapefruit half.
- Use a small kitchen torch to caramelize the sugar.
- Serve immediately! Maybe even add a scoop of vanilla ice cream as your “crème”!
Get to Baking With Winter Sweetz Grapefruit Now!
Grapefruit season is here! It’s time to whip up all your favorite grapefruit recipes! From breakfast to a dinner party dessert, make your meals colorful with the red grapefruit of the Lone Star state! Choose the Texas Winter Sweetz grapefruit for the most delicious and juiciest grapefruit of all time!